Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Ballet vs flex: reflections of an old conservative

Be brief, the art of dance is not my forte, so this post will not be a review of a critique. Today I’m an ordinary percipient of art in all its complexity and beauty, and nobody else.
Michele Wiles, American Ballet Theatre – does that ring a bell for you? If you have never heard of this magnificent dancer till now, please look through some biographical and career information about her at Wikipedia.com. And now, guys, who are in the picture, the question is for you:  what do you think about Wile’s tandem with the Brooklyn-born flex dancer Jay Donn? Frankly saying, it was a big surprise for me that Michele will go to such extremes in her independent artistic development. It was a real drama for me when she had decided to leave American Ballet Theatre (as to my mind, she was a splendid performer, the best one, unique ballet dancer). I had a dim view of this cooperation between these two contrary dancers. But my fears haven’t panned out, fortunately.

What a brilliant experiment! This witty and extraordinary duo proved the fact that art has no limits. Tradition is an inconstant issue on the contemporary dance stage. Ballet and street dance can easily rub along together. The dancers are playful, inventive; they create interesting images, new versions of themselves but stay true and recognizable at the same time. I have a strong desire to watch it more and more! It seems I’m totally carried away by these cool videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment